Saturday, October 31, 2009

Bunion Surgery - What do you think? What was your experience?

I had bunion surgery (chevron procedure) on my right foot in the middle of December. I had my surgery on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday.

When the doctor showed me my before and after x-rays, I was amazed. There is obvious improvement in the structure of my foot. He said it looked great! He did shave a bit of the bone but also did a chevron procedure %26 realigned my foot. I had a pin in but that got infected %26 was taken out early. I still have pain when I walk on my foot like I should. My foot still has a bump on the side. I was concerned with this bump until I saw that x-ray. Because of how nice the x-ray looked, I assumed it was still swelling. But I still have the bump!

I find myself walking more on the side of my foot without even realizing it. Maybe recovery takes longer and I should be patient, I just don't know. Could it still be swelling? I'm especially nervous because my next surgery (left foot) is scheduled for March 15th.
Answer:
I'm thinking of having this surgery real soon, and my Dr. said I must be off of my foot almost completely for at least 2 weeks, then only try to work part time for another 2 weeks as it takes bones a long time to heal correctly. He would prefer I would take off work 6 weeks but I can't, so I have to behave as he says. If you don't take it slow there may be problems. I'm real nervous about this too. Hope yours gets much better.
I have been told it takes 6-12 months for full healing after that procedure

No comments:

Post a Comment