Sunday, October 25, 2009

Barefoot in the Summer?

I grew up in the country and as kids we always used to walk around barefoot. I'm going back there for the summer, how long will it take to get the soles of my feet tough enough so that I can comfortably walk on ashphalt or gravel?
Answer:
After a long winter, I also love going barefoot in the summer. It usually takes me about a month of barefooting around my yard and on the street outside my house before my soles are conditioned enough to really enjoy not wearing shoes outside.

You should definitely not wear shoes around your house. You should also take small barefoot walks around your neighborhood on warm days. Start walking on smooth pavement, then sidewalks, and then finally streets. If you can go 1/2 mile with relative comfort, you should be ready for your trip to the country in the summer.

Sounds like it will be a great trip. Summer is made for going barefoot!
I'm not sure how long it will take, but if you want to toughen up your feet, why not try walking barefoot on something sturdy, like rocks or something. Practice it out a little.
I am not sure, but the sooner u start the better the results will be. and try walking on harder floors or when it gets warmer walk outside barefoot. it won't hurt to practice
It depends on your age I think. I still live in the country and my feet seem to be getting more tender instead of rougher and tougher.
Since I live in the southern part of the US, we get a good opportunity to go barefoot all year round. We may have a stretch of a week or two, several times during the winter when it gets really cold, but usually there are a few days when it warms up enough to get out barefoot. Because of that, I'm not sure I give my feet much of a chance to lose their toughness. Obviously it's not like going barefoot in July, but it's something.

My guess would be a couple of week, if that long, depending on much you challenge yourself. Start going barefoot everywhere you can. The mix of different surfaces you walk on will help your feet adapt.

Keep 'em BARE!

Barefoot Tex
I never did that, but I would just wear my sandals all summer, and not wear any closed shoes.
I go bf'n year round pretty much, so mine never un-toughen. You should check out the barefoot parks in Europe, built for the tactile experience - they're fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment