Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Can a back brace help for scoliosis if im 18?

well i have Scoliosis, I dont know how bad it is i havnt been to the dr's..dont have the money. But i was woundering... If i got the back brace would it help the curve at all?? Im not sure if it would because all the sites i looked at were talking about when your still a kid it helps.. im 18 so idk lol... i dont think its bad enough to have surgery on. But im a cna, and have to do alot of lifting and want try to limite the pain as much as i can.. when i work i wear one of the stap on black braces that they tell us to wear.. but i want to straiten my spine if i can. Thank you for you help
Answer:
I have scoliosis and it was not found until I was 17 and a half. My doctor did not want me to wear a brace because, since I was mostly done growing, it wouldn't help. I'd put the brace on, but everything would just go back to the way it was, after I took it off. Scoliosis can continue to curve even after you have stopped growing, which is why my doctor did surgery. I know you said that you don't have the money to go to the doctor, but I think that you should go when you can, especially if your in pain because of it, like I was. I hope this answered your question.
google
Probably not. The brace is for when your still growing because that's when your spine is developing and in danger of curving more. So your spine is probably as bent as it's gonna get. And the brace doesn't make it straighter it just keeps it from curving more. So if your still growing taller you might wanna consider it.
sorry, but probably not. i have scoliosis, and i'm 13. i'm getting a back brace, but i'm still growing and you arent really growing..........so surgery for you, is the best probably. because a back brace doesn't correct the spine, it only keeps the scoliosis from getting worse.....SORRY!

1 comment:

  1. I have been suffering from back pain since 2 year. Now I am using back brace .

    ReplyDelete