Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Can anyone recommend, please, something to take/good for irritable bowel syndrome?


Answer:
I've had IBS for years and recently got a stomach flu. I think my digestive system was already so deprived by my IBS that the flu really took hold of me and escalated my IBS beyond anything I had known before. It hung on for about a month and I literally thought I was dying with daily diahrrea and quick trips to the bathroom after every meal. After posting here, someone recommended Activia yogurt by Dannon.

It worked instantly! I could literally feel it bouncing around like a ping pong ball once it hit my intestines and my diahrrea instantly stopped. Per the advice I got here, I've been eating 4 a day for the last 4 days, but plan to cut back now that my intestines are behaving more normally - for the first time in over a month!

Also, limit your fat intake and do remember to eat your vegetables! Raisin Bran works wonders and exercise definitely helps!

Good luck to you!
Best thing is to see the doctor - they can prescribe you little caplets with peppermint in them - I can't remember the name. Good luck.
I've read that victoriahealth.com sell a supplement called Gastrointestinal Support that is supposed to help support your GI tract functions. Don't know if it works but maybe worth a go? It's full of natural ingredients like Aloe Vera and Ginger that are supposed to be good for your stomach.
Peppermint is supposed to be good but really the best way of reducing the symptoms is by finding out which foods make the condition worse and cutting them out. Do this by keeping a diary.
Garlic is the worst food for me although I love it.
Dont drink coffee, this will make it worst!
drink aloe vera juice. it's miraculous. And avoid fatty or fried foods in your diet and stress.
Zelnorm is a good drug. Hyoscyamine is good. Bentyl is good. or that new yogurt activ something
As with any medicine/health food supplement one should always check with one's medical practicioner first before taking anything, especially if one has not taken it previously. That said, I have used 'Mastika' Gum . I used it on the recommendation of my daughter and her personal trainer who,like me had what could be described as IBS. (Although IBS is difficult to diagnose and is sometimes used as a 'catchall'.) Anyway all three of us found it beneficial after using it. It is available at Health Food Shops or on line. Hope it helps, D.
have u tried reflexology?
the best drug for this condition is paregoric. It is an instant reliever and is like liquid gold. If you can get you doctor to writ an Rx for it you will feel like a new person.
The most widespread use of the mangosteen in folk medicine has to do with the Gastrointestinal system. The xanthones, aplha and gamma mangostin, have been found to have both histamine and serotonin receptoer blocking capacity. When serotonin is blocked in the gut, conditions of disoredered motility like IBS ( irratable bowel syndrome) should be affected favourably. The blockinf of serotonin is also the reason mangosteen helps diarrhea sufferers.
Mangosteen is capable of reducing allergic response and stomach acid, as well as protecting the stomach lining from acid damage.

Mangosteen has acid-lowering effects, anti-inflammatory effects, anti-oxident effects, and NO major side effects.


http://www.mangosteen101.co.uk

http://www.goxanthones.com
Imodium Advanced or Pepto Bismol
Do see your GP to get everything checked out.
Try to avoid stress, and find something to help you relax and de-stress (yoga is very good)

"Fybogel" (Ispaghula husk) makes up into a drink and helps increase the "good fibre" in your diet. It works to gently relieve constipation in a natural way without undue "straining", discomfort or unnatural "urgency", so helping to restore and help your digestive system, and worked for my IBS

For acid reflux Peppermint herbal tea works as do the "Rennie soft chews", but you may need something stronger from your GP to reduce the amount of acid in stomach (eg Ranitidine)

Try to ensure that you do eat the recommended 5 fruit %26 veg every single day (fruit juice %26 smoothies count towards the five) and eat healthy organic foods more often that "junk food"
It may also be worth keeping a food diary to help pin-point foods which make you worse (skins on apples,pears etc, tinned sweatcorn, too much coffee,and some seeds %26 nuts were all no good for me when I had bad IBS)
Hope you feel better soon
Try buying a bottle of cider vinegar, Put two tablespoonful in a mug with one tablespoonful of honey.
Fill the mug with cold water and drink down.
Some find this hard to drink but once you get used to it it tastes like a dry cider. Take after meals, three or four times a day.

ATB Red (hope it helps) I use cider vinegar for many ailments it's especially good for stomach complaints.
I would go to a doctor and if you already have done that then find another one.
Ask to run some tests to cross Crohn's disease off the list. Just from what little you've said I would just make sure it's not that. Crohn's and IBS seem a lot alike.
Best of Luck to you and hope that you feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment